This pudding is for life not just for Halloween!
It may look like the scene from a horror movie, but Black Rice Pudding tastes delightful!
The recipe came from the Superfood Snacks Cookbook by Julie Morris.
I absolutely love the fact it’s packed full of healthy ingredients. I’m all for healthy alternatives to puddings!
Black rice, known as forbidden rice is high in nutritional value. It’s a good source of iron, calcium & zinc. It’s also bursting with antioxidants.
How’s that for a pudding?!
Scary Black Rice Pudding
1 cup black rice
2 pints unsweetened almond milk
2 cups coconut water
1/3 cup maple sugar or coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 400ml tin of coconut milk
2tbsp maca powder
1. In a large saucepan, combine the rice with the almond milk, coconut water, maple sugar and vanilla extract and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes, stirring frequently until the mixture has thickened. (This stage took me much longer than 40 mins so be patient).
3. Combine the tinned coconut milk and maca powder in a medium bowl and whisk until fully incorporated.
4. Add the mixture to the rice, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender and the mixture creamy.
5. Remove from the heat, let cool to room temp, then refrigerate the pudding until it is well chilled.
The recipe suggests serve chilled with toasted coconut flakes on top. However I think I prefered it served hot.
A pudding perfect for Halloween…..