For 2015 I’ve been trying to lay off the refined sugar.
So I’ve been substituting the sugar rush for a quick fix of spicy flavoursome Roasted Squash, Sage & Chorizo Soup.
Served up with my Nans cheese scones, trust me it hits the spot!
This beauty is packed full of vegetables.
It looks quite inviting too!
Lets meet the stars of the show….
Butternut squash, fragrant sage & spicy chorizo sausage.
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into chunks
100g chorizo, chopped into bitesize pieces
1 small handful of sage, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 litre chicken stock
1 400g tin butter beans
1. Chop & peel the butternut squash and coat in the oil. Spread out on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven 200C/180C fan/gas 6 for 30-40 mins until cooked.
2. Meanwhile fry the chorizo in a large saucepan until golden brown. No oil required. Then remove it with a slotted spoon and leave to one side.
3. Fry the celery, onion and sage in the same pan using the oil released from the chorizo. Add extra oil if needed. Fry until soft approximately 5-8 mins. Add the garlic and fry for 1 min more.
4. Add in the roasted squash, chicken stock and tinned tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2-3 mins.
5. Take off the heat & using a stick blender, blend until a smooth consistency.
6. Put back on the heat and add in the butter beans and cook for 2-3 mins.
7. Serve with the chorizo pieces and warm cheese scones!
Serve in a flower pot if like me you’ve run out of bowls!
Topped with chunks of chorizo, this soup really delivers the flavour.
Dig in deep to fish out those wholesome butter beans.
Dunk in one of my Nans cheesy scones (recipe here) and you’ll not look back!
Who needs sugar when this spicy little pot of homemade soup is knocking around?!