Although I’m really trying to turn over a new leaf and eat healthily, there is always room for a bit of indulgence! Hence my Raspberry Frangipane Tart.
To coincide with a treat day I made my yummy Raspberry Frangipane Tart with a surprise layer of marzipan.
Raspberry Frangipane Tart
FOR THE PASTRY
150g plain flour
75g butter, chilled
60g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
FOR THE SURPRISE LAYER
FOR THE FRANGIPANE FILLING
4tbsp raspberry jam, seedless
150g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
3 large eggs
150g ground almonds
handful of flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5
2. Roll out the marzipan on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar to approximately 5mm. Use the bottom of a 24cm fluted tart tin to cut round. Put circle of marzipan to one side.
3. Put the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the sugar then add the egg yolk and enough water to bring together to form a dough.
4. Roll out the pastry again to approximately 5mm and then transfer to the fluted tart tin and trim the tops leaving a bit of an overhang. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for 30mins.
5. Remove after 30 mins and prick the base with a fork several times, then cover with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake in the oven for 15mins then remove the beans and paper and pop back in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
6. Meanwhile beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl then beat in the eggs and ground almonds. Leave to one side.
7. Take the pastry out of the oven and leave to cool slightly, then spread the raspberry jam over the base. Pop the circle of marzipan on top of the jam, then spread of the frangipane mixture. Scatter over the flaked almonds and pop back into the oven for 35-40 mins.
8. It may start to brown quickly, if so just cover with foil.
9. Serve with fresh raspberries and cream.
You’ll want to save up your calories for this one but it’s worth it!