Ooo a slice of moist, light orange sponge cake showered with pieces of chocolate, I don’t mind if I do!
You can’t go far wrong with a slice of orange sponge cake, curled up in the afternoon with a fresh cup of coffee.
This could quite possible be my favourite flavour of sponge cake,although lets not commit too much to one cake when there are so many varieties out there.
The zesty citrus sponge with slight fudgy hints (from the brown sugar) makes for a delicious base for the oh so sweet buttery icing all smothered with chocolate orange pieces.
Fewer things sound so heavenly!
For your own slice of heaven take a peek at my recipe:
for the cake
8oz baking spread
6oz caster sugar
2oz soft brown sugar
8oz self raising flour
zest of 1 large orange
for the icing
12oz icing sugar
6oz baking spread
1-3 tbsp juice from an orange
some orange matchsticks & chocolate orange segments
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease & line 2x sandwich cake tins.
2. Cream together the baking spread, caster sugar & soft brown sugar.
3. Add the eggs & flour & fold in gently
4. Add the orange zest & continue to fold until all mixed together.
5. Divide the mixture evenly between the sandwich tins & pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes
6. Take the cakes out when golden brown and springy to touch. Take out of the tins & leave on a wire rack to cool.
7. Meanwhile beat the icing sugar and baking spread together, then add in the orange juice to make the icing.
8. Spread half the icing onto one of the layers and sprinkle with chopped up orange matchsticks
9. Sandwich together the 2 layers then cover the top with the remaining icing.
10. Arrange the chocolate orange segments over the top & voila your orange sponge cake is good to go!
This cake starts to make me think of the warmth from the spring sunshine. And sure enough when a slice was cut the sun appeared!
If this is the effect it has on the British weather then lets get baking people!
There’s not much that goes together better than coffee & this scrumptious cake.
Ok so maybe coffee & 2 slices of this scrumptious cake!
Got a great post you want to share?
Take a look at my Friday Free 4 All link up – ALL POSTS welcome