Anyone fancy a slice of zingy lemony tart? Yes I hear you cry. Then keep reading!
A lemon tart has to be one of my new favourites. As I have got older my taste buds have changed!
Lemon tart seems to tick all the right boxes for me now. With its crispy thin layer of pastry and the creamy, silky filling giving a punch of lemony zing.
For the pastry
8oz plain flour
4oz butter, cubed
3oz icing sugar
1 egg, lightly wisked
For the filling
Juice and finely grated zest of 6 large lemons
6 large eggs
7oz caster sugar
7floz double cream
1. Put the flour and butter into a bowl and rub together until it resembles bread crumbs.
2. Stir in the icing sugar.
3. Add the egg and bring the mixture together until it forms a dough. If the mixture is too dry add a tablespoon of milk until it forms a dough.
4. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball.
5. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and pop into the fridge for 30 mins.
6. Once chilled, take the dough and roll out on a floured surface until the thickness of just less than a £1 coin.
7. Line a 23cm tart tin with the rolled out pastry, leaving the excess pastry to fall over the edges of the tin.
8. Pop the lined tin back into the fridge for 10 mins.
9. Meanwhile turn the oven on to 200/180 fan/Gas Mark 6.
10. Take the pastry out of the fridge and line with parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Blind bake for 15 minutes.
|Individual Tartlets – see Tip below|
11. Take out of the oven and remove the baking beans and parchment paper.
12. Use a sharp knife to neatly trim the excess pastry from the edges.
13. Pop back into the oven for 10 minutes, until the pastry looks golden brown and cooked through. Take out and leave to one side.
14. Turn the oven down to 160/140 fan/Gas Mark 3.
15. Whisk all the filling ingredients together into a bowl.
16. Pour the filling into the pastry case and bake for 35-40 minutes. The filling should be set with a slight wobble to the middle.
Makes 1 23cm tart.
This recipe can make 6-8 individual tartlets. Just adapt the cooking times as follows:
1. Blind bake for 10mins.
2. Then pop back in for another 10 minutes without the baking beans and parchment.
3. Cook the final tart with filling for 20 minutes.
Chop up the tart and enjoy!
Enjoy the thin crispy layer of pastry….
And that oh so sweet center.
Oh wait, lets just enjoy this some more…
I’ve linked my Lemon Tart recipe to a few lovely Linky’s