Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins
Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins, moist and full of lemons!
I tried to get the maximum lemon flavour into these muffins. Theres nothing worse than a flavoured cake with no flavour.
So when I say lemon and poppy seed muffins I mean Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins!
FOR THE CAKE
6oz caster sugar
8oz self raising flour
2oz poppy seeds
zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped
4 tbsp natural yoghurt
FOR THE GLAZE
4 tbsp caster sugar
4 tbsp water
juice 2 lemons
FOR THE ICING
8oz icing sugar
4 tbsp lemon curd
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6.
2. Line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
3. Using the all in one method, throw all the cake ingredients into a bowl & beat together until combined!
4. Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases and then pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes.
TO MAKE THE GLAZE
5. Pour the water into a pan then add the caster sugar.
6. Put on a low heat & stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved.
7. Then turn the heat up and boil rapidly for approx 1 minute.
8. Take the pan off the heat and stir through the lemon juice.
9. Once the cakes are a golden brown colour, remove from the oven. Leave them in the tin and poke a skewer several times into each muffin.
10. Drizzle 1-2 tsp of the glaze over each muffin and allow to soak into the cake. Leave for 5 minutes before transfering the muffins onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Try to get as much of the glaze over the cakes not over the muffin cases, but don’t panic if it does dribble over.
TO MAKE THE ICING
11. Beat together the icing sugar, margarine & lemon curd until combined.
12. Spread the icing over the 12 cooled muffins.
Before you skip the lemon glaze stage, STOP!