This has to be cake perfection, knowing that you can have your cake AND eat it guilt free. For with this little lemony number you’re also getting a side of veg to go with it! How about that.
A slice of cake and a dose of vitamin C. Sounds good to me!
Ok so the vegetable component is courgette (the title is a bit of a give away).
For those of you who don’t like courgette DO NOT stop reading here. My man hates courgette but has said this is his ‘favourite cake’ – his words, not mine!
The result is a very moist, light and refreshing cake, with an added lemony kick to get your taste buds going.
So lets get to it….
150ml, 5fl oz Vegetable Oil
250g, 9oz Self Raising Flour
50g, 2oz Ground Almonds
175g, 6oz Caster Sugar
Grated rind of 2 Lemons
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
2 Small Courgettes, grated
FOR THE ICING
125g, 4oz Icing Sugar
Juice of 1-2 Lemons
Chopped Almonds to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (160C Fan), Gas mark 4.
2. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and dust with flour (tap out any excess).
3. Whisk the oil, eggs, sugar and grated lemon together in a bowl.
4. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into the mixture and fold in gently.
5. Add the courgette and ground almonds and fold once more until all ingredients are combined.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin and level off the surface.
7. Bake for 55 minutes or until a baking skewer comes out clean.
8. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
9. To make the icing – mix the icing sugar with the juice of the lemons. The icing should be a thick pouring consistency.
10. Put the cake onto a serving board and drizzle over the icing.
|Encourage the icing to drizzle over the edge
11. Scatter over the chopped almonds to decorate.
I happened to make 2 Courgette Cakes today. One was for my mums birthday cake. She is a big fan of butterfly’s so she had a scattering of sugared butterfly’s on top too! She also had quite a few candles, but I wont say exactly how many!
Get stuck in!
|A slice of cake and a side of vegetables please!
You can feel quite smug with yourself eating a slice of this gorgeous lemony cake. For you are safe in the knowledge that a few hidden courgettes are chipping away at your 5 a day!
It also makes for quite an interesting game asking people to guess what the secret ingredient is! I got some great answers including strawberry flowers?! Not sure where that one came from.