This cake is the perfect combination of moist sponge with a sweet apple centre, covered with the crunchiest, crumbly topping.
This has got to be up there on my list of all time favourite cakes! (There’s quite a few on that list – and it is ever growing!)
Here’s what you need:
FOR THE CAKE
6oz baking spread
6oz soft brown sugar
3 large eggs
6oz self raising flour
3tbsp apple juice
1 large apple, any will do. The sweeter the apple the sweeter the cake!
FOR THE TOPPING
1.5oz plain flour
2oz demerara sugar. No other sugar will do! It has to be the crunchiest kind!
Here’s how it’s done:
1. Start with the topping. Rub the butter into the flour until resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and cinnamon and leave to one side.
2. Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 3. Grease a 20cm loose bottomed tin.
3. To make the cake cream the baking spread and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs and the flour and fold in gently. Add the apple juice and continue to fold untill all combined.
5. Peel, core and thinly slice the apple.
6. Spoon two thirds of the cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over with a spoon.
7. Cover with a layer of the sliced apple then spread over the remaining cake mixture.
8. Level out the top and scatter over the crumble topping.
9. Pop in the oven for one and a quarter hours.
I prefer this gorgeous cake served warm and on its own.
I’m sure it’d go brilliantly though with cream, custard you name it!
I may just have to experiment!
So moist and soft and crunchy all in one bite!
Now thats what I call a slice of cake!
There’s always room for a second slice!