An Anti Gravity Minstrels Cake creates some magic that everyone will enjoy.
It looks tricky to create, but this magic trick is nothing short of a wooden skewer, some melted chocolate a straw! Oh and lots of Minstrels…..
Anti Gravity Minstrels Cake
Start with a simple….Victoria Sponge & Vanilla Buttercream recipe:
8oz Baking spread
8oz Caster Sugar
4 Eggs, lightly beaten
8oz Self Raising Flour
2tsps Baking powder
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
8oz Baking spread
16oz icing sugar
1tsp vanilla paste or extract
FOR THE ANTI GRAVITY ASSEMBLY
Approx 2 Grab bags of Minstrels
Approx 2 boxes of chocolate fingers
1 Bendy Straw
1 Wooden Skewer
Approx 50-100g Milk or dark chocolate to melt
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/170C fan, then grease and line 2 x 20cm cake tins.
2. Cream the baking spread and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Then add in the eggs, flour and baking powder and gently fold until the mixture is combined.
3. Separate the mixture between the two baking tins and pop into the oven for 25-30 minutes until pale golden and cooked through when checked with a skewer.
4. Take out of the tins and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
5. Meanwhile make the buttercream by creaming the baking spread and icing sugar together. Add in the milk and vanilla paste and give it a quick beat with an electric whisk until smooth.
6. Time to assemble…… Sandwich together the two sponges with a third of the buttercream. Then spread one third of the buttercream on the top and one third around the sides.
7. As soon as you’ve spread the buttercream around the sides, stick on the chocolate fingers. If you wait until the buttercream has dried the fingers will likely fall off!
8. Then stick the wooden skewer through the centre of the whole cake. Pop the straw over the top with the bendy bit left poking out over the skewer.
9. Then melt the milk or dark chocolate.
10. Time to crack open the Minstrels. Firstly start by plopping them onto the top of the cake. Then using the melted chocolate start layering them up around the straw until you come to a gradual peak.
11. Place an empty Minstrels bag on top of the straw and stick Minstrels around so it completely hides the straw.
If the bag wont stay in place then stick it to the straw with melted chocolate.
Then hey presto the illusion is complete!